Saturday, February 12, 2005

Productive Day

As I said in my previous post, Primetime Adventures does not require a lot of preparation to run a game, but it does require some. It says this about one of the key responsibilities of the Producer:

Create the Spark -- The producer always kicks off an episode, and that's a big responsibility. Something needs to happen that the protagonists (and the players) can't resist or ignore.

The Producer comes up with that first scene of the game and gets things going. The problem? I was drawing a blank. That's not entirely true. I had come up with a few ideas, but they sucked. Sucked hard. I was trying to create something too elaborate, too "role-playing-gamish" not "TV-showish." I'm running a game that is supposed to simulate a TV show, right? So, I started thinking more visually, imaging an opening scene. It basically wrote itself in my head in about 10 minutes. I came up with something simple but powerful. So now I have an opening scene that I'm fairly happy with, and it's not hanging over my head.

Then, since I was on a roll, I created a Town and some Proto-NPCs for the Dogs in the Vineyard game I hope to be running in a few weeks. The town is called Juniper Creek and that's all I'm gonna say about it now, since Ed will be playing in the game. I'm pretty psyched about my town. Lot's of grabby stuff in it, at least it seems that way to me.

No comments: