Monday, August 25, 2008

Forge vs. Work

I have really just not been paying that much attention to the Forge for a long time now. I'd drop in on Story Games, I'd chat with people who dig the games, get info second hand about what was going on, but I've just been kind of out of it. I don't know when it started but it's gone on for a long time now, like, maybe a couple years.


So now I'm off the wagon. The prospect of reading the details of the Under My Skin game that Ron, Rob, and others played at GenCon, whose images I'd seen on Story-Games, was one thing that sucked me in. There were some others, I don't remember. But I find myself following thread to thread, delving back in time, story to story, watching people explain things to each other and work out ideas, and talk about their play, and where to go...


And I'm digging into old threads I never followed the first time around, and picking up ideas for how to run and play Sorcerer, trying to figure out whether my one-sheet idea ("Impiety") is doable and how it'll be doable.. Learning how to run the Pool well and how not to...


Just a few threads here and there but it's so damned addictive, I have got to put this shit aside while I'm at work... but you open one and it refers to three others, and I just have to see what's in those three others, and I pop 'em open in another Firefox tab and keep reading...


I'm so off the wagon.


I think I've maybe... matured? I don't know, do you still mature when you're 38? Aren't you supposed to be done maturing? Let's say I've grown a little in knowledge and perspective since the last time I was really paying attention, and things mean more to me now than they once did.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boo ha ha!

More seriously, thanks - I really enjoyed our recent re-connect about Trollbabe and it's great to know you're on the job at the Forge. You know, the *real* job.

Ed H said...

Thanks, Ron, I enjoyed it too, and wouldn't you know it, Trollbabe is in my bag too, another thing to distract me from work...

A couple people at Con echoed what you were saying about the foundational nature of games like Sorcerer, Trollbabe, and Pool, and I want to go back and dig into those strata again.

Inbetween killing bugs in 3:16.